Recipe by Kimke
This is modified from a Bon Appetit recipe from some years back. It is a wonderful first course, especially for those that like shrimp. The cayenne adds a nice "kick" to it as well!
Top Review by Sackville
This was just what I needed to soothe my poor sick self. I stuck fairly close to the original recipe, just adding a couple carrots and two sticks of celery (I made a double batch) to pump up the veggie content. It was wonderfully comforting, had a lovely seafood flavour to it and went down a treat. I'm sure the pot won't last long!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons white rice (not instant)
- 12 ounces cooked shrimp
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if you like it spicier)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half or 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in pan.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and rice and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Mix in most of shrimp (reserve 6 for garnish).
- Cover and simmer until shrimp is heated through (1-2 minutes).
- Puree soup with shrimp in blender or in pan with hand blender (much easier) Return soup to pan.
- Whisk in tomato paste, cayenne pepper and tarragon.
- Gradually whisk in half/half.
- Bring soup to simmer.
- Garnish with reserved shrimp.