Celery Root Bisque With Thyme Croutons
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is a creamy, smooth, subtle soup that makes a wonderful first course dish. You will appreciate it simplicity, both in preparation and taste. Bon Appetit 2005
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, coarsely chopped (2 lbs. celery roots (celeriac)
- 10 ounces russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth, low-salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add celery; cover and cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add shallots; sauté uncovered 3 minutes. Stir in celery root cubes and potato, then broth and 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme. Increase heat to high; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 40 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Working in batches, transfer soup to blender and puree until smooth. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate.).
- Stir cream into soup and bring to simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with additional chopped thyme and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION