Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Oh yum! "Creative Family Favourites", Frances Cleary
Make and share this Prawns/Shrimp in Creamy Mustard Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 55 g butter or 55 g margarine
- 900 g raw prawns or 900 g shrimp, peeled and deveined or 900 g cooked peeled prawns
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, cut in small diagonal slices
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 125 ml dry white wine
- 125 ml whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- salt and pepper
- Melt half the butter or margarine in a frying pan over a high heat.
- Add raw prawns if using, and cook until they turn pink and opaque, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter or margarine in the frying pan. Add the onion and spring onions, and cook until softened, 3 - 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the lemon juice and wine. Bring to the boil, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to mix in the cooking juices.
- Add the cream. Simmer until the mixture thickens, 3 - 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the mustard.
- Return the fried prawns to the pan and reheat briefly. Add cooked prawns at this stage and heat through, about two minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and serve over rice.
WINNER of a recipe. I used about a 1/2 lb of cooked shrimp and it fed 2 nicely (with extra sauce of course). Mine wasn't thickening up as I would have liked, so I added some cornstarch and we were good to go. I also cut back on the mustard to about 1 T which was enough for us. SO good. Served it atop a mix of sauteed mushrooms and spinach. THANKS Karen for a yummo meal. Definitely restaurant quality.
I scaled this back to 300g of prawns and used 200 grams of raw prawn flesh and 100 grams of scallops (4 scallops) for 2 of us as a main with rice and I had a small side salad. If I could give this more stars I would we just loved it, one of the best recipes we have had this year. A great dinner, thank you Karen Elizabeth made for Christmas Editition - Make My Recipe.
OUTSTANDING! We don't have prawns nearly enough (at least when it comes to what we like, rather than what we should have!) so making this was a special treat ~ Really enjoyed the sauce, too, as it was a nice change! I used large prawns & then served them with a brown rice & peas combo! Will be keeping your recipe around, & thanks for posting it! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]