Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an easy, traditional, and delicious potato kugel (potato pudding) recipe from the Jewish cookbook, "Passover by Design: Picture Perfect Kosher by Design Recipes for the Holiday", by Susie Fishbein.
- Preheat oven to 425°F degrees.
- Place the oil into a large 9- by 13-inch rectangular baking pan; set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and add some ice cubes. Peel the potatoes and place them into the bowl of cold water. This will prevent them from turning brown.
- Finely chop the onions in the container of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Remove them to a large bowl. Cut the potatoes into chunks and place them into the food processor; process until almost smooth. Add the potatoes to the onions.
- Add the salt, pepper, and sugar to the potato mixture. Add the eggs and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Place the baking pan with the oil into the oven. When the oil sizzles, carefully remove from oven and spoon some of it into the potato mixture. This will help make the kugel fluffy. Mix well. Pour the potatoes into the oiled pan. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour.
My daughter asked me to make my late mothers famous potato Kugel to bring to Rosh Hashanah ( Jewish New Years )Dinner at her future In-laws. Being recently diagnosed as Gluten Intolerant I was at a loss because I knew I could not make that dish and enjoy eating it as well. So when I came across this recipe I figured ok itâ€™s worth a try. Well the entire Kugel was the first dish gone, it was fabulous. The only changes that I made to the recipe was to add 3 large cloves of Garlic that I pureed and a table spoon of powdered garlic as well. Thanks for a GREAT recipe. Iqtelnet