1/1 Photo of Pot Roast with gravy - Indian style
1 hr 30 mins
Girl from India's Note:
This is the regular Beef Roast recipe I have been enjoying since I was a child.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg beef
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 inch gingerroot, crushed
- 4 dried red chilies, broken
- 2 -3 peppercorns, crushed coarsely
- 3 cloves
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 big tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree (I use it if avlbl) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (or less)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- 1Cook the beef with the ginger, garlic, red chillies, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, cumin seeds, salt and water in a pressure cooker for one whistle and then 45 minutes on slow.
- 2Let cool.
- 3Slice the roast into thickish slices or chunks.
- 4Strain the liquid discarding the whole spices and other ingredients.
- 5Squeeze out every drop so as not to miss out on any of the flavours.
- 6Now heat oil in a pan.
- 7Fry the onion till dark brown.
- 8I hasten the process by adding a little sugar or 1/2 tsp soya sauce sometimes:0!
- 9Add the pepper powder, as soon as you get the aroma of the pepper powder sauteing add the chopped tomato.
- 10You can add a stock cube (beef) too at this stage but then you have to add less salt while cooking the meat. Add a little good red wine too for that extra depth and flabour.(I add rum but do not settle for it as I do if you can help it ;))
- 11Add the liquid the roast cooked in and bring to a boil and then add the slices/ chunks of roast.
- 12Add the tomato ketchup and the puree and simmer for around 5 minutes till the gravy thickens.
- 13You can help it along with a little cornstarch if need be.
- 14(I don't) Garnish with coriander leaves.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pot Roast with gravy - Indian style
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.5
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 72.4 mg
- Sodium 141.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 28.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: