Indian Spiced Beef Roast
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 25mins
- 5 lbs rib roast
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste (see my recipe)
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili pepper flakes
- 10 dried red chilies
- 4 black peppercorns
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 green chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- Wash meat, cut into thick slices or into 4-6 chunks.
- Prick meat with a fork on all sides.
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind the cinnamon stick, cloves, chili flakes, and dried red chilies, and pepper corns and put into a bowl.
- To that bowl add cinnamon powder and turmeric, ginger-garlic paste.
- Then grind the green chillies in mortar and pestle or chop very finely and add it to the bowl.
- Add the vinegar, sugar and salt to the bowl and stir well.
- Dredge the meat in the spice mixture and let it sit for two hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In an electric frying pan, heat oil and saute onions till tender.
- Add meat with spices and brown for about 7-8 minutes turning once.
- Put half of the meat, spices and onion in a roasting pan.
- Put one cup of tomatoes in over it.
- Layer the rest of the meat on top.
- Add the remaining tomatoes and 2 cups of water.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs or until roast is very tender, stirring and turning meat a couple of times during the baking process.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was well flavored and very tender. I did do a few things differently. I started with a 2 1/2# roast and canned tomatoes. I reduced the amount of the red pepper flakes to 1/2 t. (It needed more). After searing the meat, I cooked it off in a crockpot. (I didn't add the water).It smelled heavenly cooking. I served it shredded in pita pockets. The next day I made soup out of the leftovers. It really added a lot of taste to a plain veggie soup. Thank you for sharing your recipe!