Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
My family loves this stew! It tastes great and warms the tummy on a cold afternoon. It comes from my favorite cookbook, 365 Favorite Brand Name Slow Cooker Recipes & More.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 lbs fresh lean boneless pork butt, cut into cubes
- 2 medium white onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatillos, drained & chopped or 1 cup husked and chopped fresh tomatillo
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add pork; cook 10 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- Remove and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet.
- Add onions, garlic, cumin, and oregano; cook and stir 2 minutes or until soft.
- Combine pork, onion mixture and remaining ingredients except rice and almonds in crock pot; mix well.
- Cover and cook on low 5 hours or until pork is tender and barely pink in center.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with almonds, if desired.
This is a wonderful meal to come home too. I did add a few things to make it more of a one pot meal. I added carrots and celery. Left out the oregano and added thyme and bay leaf. We like things heated up so added some crushed red peppers. Very nice one pot meal thank you!
This was one of the best recipes I have tried - made it just like the recipe said, but I do think it could use some heat. Will definitely make this again - and it's so good!!!
This was good! I doubled the tomatillos (fresh) and the broth (beef). We skipped the rice and almonds and served it topped with grated queso fresco..... delicious. My daughter suggested adding corn next time so I may have to try that. Great recipe