Recipe by Galley Wench
Great as a main dish or appetizer. The pork can also be cooked in a crock pot. Mangoes can be substituted VERY successfully . . . guess that would change the name of the recipe!
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
This was really good!!! I did make some changes; I left out most of the peppers (I am a whimp and cannot handle the heat) and skipped the black beans because I do not care for them. This dish still had a ton of flavor and went over well with my husband--even my 19 month old son ate it!!
- 1 cup fresh pineapple (or mangoes) or 1 cup canned pineapple, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 2 lbs boneless pork chops, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1 chipotle chile, chopped and seeded (optional)
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce, from canned chipotle chile
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 -10 inches flour tortillas
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups havarti cheese or 2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Place pork, chicken broth, salt, garlic, jalapenos and onion in large pot and bring to a slow simmer. Add cumin, oregano, tomato paste, chipotle chiles, adobo sauce and chile powder to meat.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until pork is pull-apart tender. Increase heat to evaporate excess liquid. Shred meat with a fork and set aside.
- Combine salsa ingredients and chill for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- To assemble:.
- Lay out tortillas and spread pork mixture on 1/2 of each tortilla. Top with corn, black beans and cheese. Fold over and brown on each side on hot griddle. Place on cookie sheet in warm oven to hold. Serve with pineapple salsa.