4 hrs 15 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
This is my favorite dish from Bar Italia in St. Louis. I have been looking for this recipe forever and finally found it in a local newspaper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, plus
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 (8 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium red bell peppers, julienned
- 6 white button mushrooms, theinly sliced
- 1/4 cup golden raisin
- 1/4 cup dark raisin
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup sweet vermouth
- chicken stock, as needed
- 1Mix cloves, zest, 1/2 cup vinegar, mint, 1/4 cup oil, salt, pepper in a bowl.
- 2Add chicken to bowl and marinate in refrigerator 3 hours or overnight.
- 3Drain chicken and discard marinade Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add remaining oil and butter.
- 4When butter melts, add onion, peppers, and mushrooms.
- 5Saute until vegetables start to brown (about 4 min).
- 6Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to a bowl; keep warm.
- 7Add chicken to skillet, with what was the skin side down; sear lightly.
- 8Turn chicken, add raisins and pine nuts, and cook 1-2 minutes, until pine nuts begin to brown.
- 9Add remaining 6 Tbsp of vinegar and vermouth; bring to a simmer.
- 10Season lightly with salt, then reduce heat to medium.
- 11Cook until chicken is just done and sauce is reduced to the consistency of a light syrup.
- 12If sauce is thick when chicken is done, add small ladlefuls of chicken stock.
- 13If the sauce is too thin when the chicken is done, remove chicken and continue to reduce sauce.
- 14When the sauce is the correct consistency, stir in vegetables and add salt if needed.
- 15Turn chicken pieces over to coat with sauce, then arrange on plate and spoon vegetables and sauce over chicken.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pollo Agrodolce (Venetian Sweet-And-Sour Chicken)
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 649.6
- Calories from Fat 305
- Total Fat 33.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 155.3 mg
- Sodium 575.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 23.6 g
- Protein 51.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: