Recipe by The Tiny Chef
From a wonderful website, www.whfoods.com Tips: You may want to lay the spoon with the egg on a towel briefly after removing egg from water. This allows the towel to absorb some of the poaching water, and it won't end up in your beans.
Top Review by Pesto lover
This was very good. Since the eggs weren't fried, I felt I could fry a couple of tortillas lightly to serve it on. I used pinto beans, but followed the recipe otherwise. Very tasty. Thanks for sharing.
- 4 free range eggs
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or 1 teaspoon any other light vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons chicken broth or 4 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup salsa (prepared)
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 large avocado, cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water and vinegar to a light boil in a shallow pan. Make sure there is enough water to cover eggs.
- In a separate stainless steel skillet heat 1 tbs broth. Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently, until translucent. Add garlic, beans, red chili powder, cumin, and rest of broth while egg water is coming to a boil. Cook beans for about 10 minutes on medium low heat, stirring occasionally. Add cilantro, salt and pepper.
- To poach eggs, crack into water and cook about 5 minutes, just until the white is set and the yolk have filmed over. Remove with a slotted spoon, and place eggs over beans. Serve with salsa, shredded romaine lettuce and avocado.