Recipe by iris5555
This mayonnaise-less potato salad recipe is from a James Beard cookbook. Be sure to pour the bacon drippings over the potatoes while the drippings are still hot so they will be absorbed.
Top Review by GaylaJ
A departure from the typical potato salad, and very good! I couldn't recall ever eating a dish with cucumbers and potatoes before, so I was curious how this would come together. It was a nice, refreshing change, and the bacon drippings were an excellent flavor booster. I used Yukon Gold potatoes and stuck with the white vinegar, even though I was tempted to sub a different kind. This salad would be especially good in the summertime (as I figure Mr. Beard intended), but we had a wintertime picnic in our family room, and it was great with the hot dogs we roasted in the fireplace. :) Thanks for posting the recipe!
- 6 medium potatoes, boiled in jackets
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons hot bacon drippings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub sides and bottom of bowl with a crushed garlic clove.
- Peel potatoes while hot and place in bowl.
- Let potatoes stand until cool.
- In another bowl, slice cucumbers and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Slice cooled potatoes and pour heated bacon fat over them.
- Combine potatoes with cucumbers and onions and toss lightly.
- Add oil and vinegar and again toss lightly.
- Let stand 2 hours before serving.
- Add more oil and vinegar if needed.