Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
From Jeff Smith's "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American" this recipe most closely resembles the English rice pudding I grew up with. PS: You're meant to eat it warm you silly bunch of yanks! ;)
- 1 cup long-grain rice, rinsed and drained well
- 6 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Mix all of the ingredients together and place in a 3-quart covered saucepan. Bring to a simmer on the top of the stove and then place, covered, in the preheated oven.
- Bake without disturbing or stirring for 2 hours and 45 minutes. The pudding will almost caramelize and become a pale golden color.
Great tasting rice pudding, & what the heck ~ It's as satisfying cold as it is warm! Easy to put together, & just wait for it to cook ~ Nothing could be more simple! Thanks for sharing your nice English recipe with us yanks (& this laid back West Coast one, at that)! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]