Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A serving of this pasta dish makes a filling and nutritious low-calorie meal for when you are taking your diet seriously! While the portion may seem small, the high carbohydrates make this very satisfying, and the stir frying keeps it lean.
- 8 ounces fettuccine
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, torn
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large garlic clove, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 ounces chicken tenders, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced, about 1 cup
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in food processor or blender, combine spinach, basil, broth, pine nuts, Parmesan, garlic, and oil; process until smooth.
- Stir in lemon peel and black pepper; set aside.
- Cook chicken in n onstick skillet over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes, or until cooked through; remove to plate.
- Cook red pepper in same skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet along with the pesto; cook 1 minute over medium heat.
- Drain pasta and toss with chicken and pesto.
Nice dish. I don't normally buy/make pesto so this was a good variation to our normal meals. I don't care for pesto cause of the nuts so I sub'd hemp seeds instead. I didn't have fresh basil so I had to use a comparable dried amt & increased the garlic (or course, LOL). We are careful with our carbs so I cut pasta to 6 oz & doubled the chicken but still found there was left over pesto for the next meal. Healthy recipe but I found it needed abit of salt for our tastes. Thanks for sharing.
This is yummy. I only made half of this recipe for my DH and I and it was wonderful. Love the fresh ingredients. Made for ZWT4 Family Picks for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.