1/3 Photos of Perfect New England Fish Chowder
My favorite chowder! My family has been enjoying this wonderful chowder for three generations and I hope you enjoy, too! Rich creamy and satisfying, serve this hearty chowder steaming hot with chowder crackers or a buttered baguette. YUM! Tip: The quality of the olive oil you use will affect the outcome--be sure to use a good, high quality extra-virgin oil! Recipe is from my father who clipped it from the newspaper, long ago.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and saute onion, celery and carrot for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2Stir in flour.
- 3Gradually stir in chicken broth.
- 4Stir over low heat until soup bubbles and thickens slightly.
- 5Simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 6Stir in cream and cubes of fish.
- 7Stir in thyme.
- 8Simmer for 5 minutes or until cubes of fish are cooked.
- 9Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 10Serve very hot with chowder crackers or a crusty baguette with butter, and fresh snipped lemon thyme for garnish.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect New England Fish Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.2
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 86.9 mg
- Sodium 513.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 18.2 g