Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
My favorite chowder! My family has been enjoying this wonderful chowder for three generations and I hope you enjoy, too! Rich creamy and satisfying, serve this hearty chowder steaming hot with chowder crackers or a buttered baguette. YUM! Tip: The quality of the olive oil you use will affect the outcome--be sure to use a good, high quality extra-virgin oil! Recipe is from my father who clipped it from the newspaper, long ago.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and saute onion, celery and carrot for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth.
- Stir over low heat until soup bubbles and thickens slightly.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cream and cubes of fish.
- Stir in thyme.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until cubes of fish are cooked.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve very hot with chowder crackers or a crusty baguette with butter, and fresh snipped lemon thyme for garnish.
I loved the thyme flavor! I used cubes of Halibut and 1/2 cup onions. Wonderful consistency served with sourdough rolls! Thanks, this is a keeper!
Easy and fast to make. The flavours of the fish are not overhelmed by the other flavours. I also like the thyme here and used fresh instead of dried thyme.