Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
- classic pie crust (see Classic Pie Crust, Idiot Proof Step-By-Step Photo Tutorial)
- 5 1⁄2 cups fresh blackberries
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup potato starch or 1⁄4 cup potato flour
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg white, beaten,for pastry wash
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and place four 9-inch unglazed quarry tiles on rack to form an 18-inch square.
- (A pizza stone will work, too.) Preheat oven to 400 degrees and let tiles heat for at least 30 minutes.
- Purée 1 cup of the blackberries in a food processor fitted with the metal blade; set aside.
- Stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, bring the sugar, salt, starch and blackberry purée to the consistency of thick jam over medium-low heat in a large saucepan.
- Stir in lemon zest.
- Pour thickener over remaining blackberries and stir to combine.
- Pour blackberry filling into bottom pie shell and dot with the 1 Tb.
- Cover with top layer of pastry dough.
- Set an 18-inch square of heavy-duty foil on tiles or pizza stone.
- Set pie on foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven, brush with beaten egg white, sprinkle with 1 1/2 Tbs.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes longer.
- Bring foil around pie to loosely cover.
- Bake until filling bubbles, 15-20 minutes longer.
- Cool on a wire rack, 2-3 hours.
This is the second time I've made this pie, and I'm pretty thrilled with the results. I added just a bit of vanilla (1/2 tsp.?) and a tiny squeeze of lemon juice as well. As far as taking more work, I don't really think it matters--it's only about another five minutes, and the results far outweigh that extra time. I would, note, though, that I'm using a rather deep pie dish, and next time I make this, I plan on adding another half-recipe's worth of the berry filling. It seems a bit thin for this deep dish. Thanks for sharing!
What a great recipe! I made this today for Easter at my Dad's with blackberries I had frozen from my blackberry bush last summer. I used FarahC's recipe #142738 for the topping and the pie was a huge hit with no leftovers. Thank you
Wonderful recipe for my favorite blackberry pie. This recipe takes a little more time, but it is time well spent. No one turns down a piece of this pie.