James Beard's Blackberry Pie
My grandkids like to pick fresh blackberries in the summer and take them home to their parents. This is the treat that we make before the rest of the berries all go home.
- Ready In:
- 4 cups blackberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pie crusts, 9-inch, uncooked
- To wash berries, put in colander and dip up and down in bowl of water; drain well.
- Combine with sugar, flour, salt and lemon juice.
- Turn into pastry lined pie pan.
- Dot with butter.
- Trim pastry edge and moisten it.
- Cover with top pastry, trim edge, crimp top and bottom edges together and cut vents for steam.
- Bake at 450ºF for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350ºF and bake 25 to 30 minutes longer.
- Cool on a rack.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 1 more