Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A good pasta dish from the RSVP section of Bon Appetit, September 1995. If you cannot find mascarpone, mix 6 tablespoons cream cheese with 5 tablespoons whipping cream.
- 3⁄4 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3⁄4 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb penne
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2⁄3 cup mascarpone cheese
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Saute sausages in Dutch oven over high heat until brown, breaking into small pieces with back of spoon, about 12 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to bowl. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Add onion and saute until light brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add cream; boil 5 minutes. Add broth; boil until reduced to sauce consistency, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Return sausage to pot.
- Cook penne in large pot of boiling salted water until pasta is just tender but still firm to bite.
- Meanwhile, bring sauce to simmer over medium heat. Add peas and mascarpone and simmer until peas are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Drain pasta. Add to sauce; toss to coat. Mix in Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to large bowl; serve.
All we had was regular Italian sausage. Otherwise, made exactly as stated. Quite good! Thank you!
This was so good! I used the cream cheese and cream in this and it turned out perfect. I really liked how easy it was to put together. I served it with a tossed salad and garlic bread. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT7-Italy.