photo by limeandspoontt
- Ready In:
- 3 medium garlic cloves, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb penne pasta, cooked
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Chop 1 garlic clove.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chopped garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes in juice and bay leaf; simmer 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice remaining 2 garlic cloves.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook until just beginning to turn pale golden, about 30 seconds.
- Add parsley, basil and red pepper flakes; cook 30 seconds.
- Add wine and boil 30 seconds.
- Stir into tomato sauce and salt; simmer 4 to 5 minutes.
- Toss sauce with hot pasta in a large serving bowl.
- Drizzle pasta with remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add Parmesan and garnish with parsley and basil.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was excellent and easy! I didn't have fresh parsley or basil so I used dried basil and chervil. Not only did DH and I enjoy it, I've never seen my toddler eat so fast! She loves spicy food and wanted to have this for breakfast too. :) I can't wait until my basil is bigger so I can use fresh in this recipe!