Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This was one of my mom's favorite recipes. She got the recipe from a lady with whom she worked many years ago. Growing up, we called it Pea Vegetable Salad (that's the name written on my mother's copy of the recipe.) Some friends of mine, however, said that they too have a similar recipe, yet call it Christmas Relish. I like that name better, but it certainly isn't a dish that is just for Christmas time. I think the name must come from all the red and green veggies. Regardless of the name, it is one tasty little side dish!
- 1 (15 ounce) can baby green peas, drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can shoe peg corn, drained
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Mix sugar, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil for a few minutes and remove from heat.
- Let cool completely.
- Combine all vegetables and cheese in a bowl.
- Pour cooled sauce over veggies and mix.
- Refrigerate. Best served cold!
- Note: Sometimes I use half of a green pepper and half of a red pepper. Chop peppers by hand, do not use chopper! And LeSueur peas work just fine.