Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe appeared in the Houston Chronicle and it sounds so delicious! I haven't tried it yet. Any short pasta will work and any unused canned pumpkin can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- 1 lb uncooked penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 4 cups vertically sliced onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled gorgonzola
- 1⁄2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- Cook pasta according to directions omitting oil and salt.
- Keep warm.
- Heat oil in dutch kettle over medium high heat.
- Add onions, mushrooms and garlic; cover and cook 3 minutes.
- Uncover and cook 5 minutes, stirring until tender.
- Combine chopped sage, and milk in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Combine cornstarch and water and add to milk mixture with cheese, stirring with a whisk.
- Cook cheese mixture for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat and add pumpkin, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add pasta, pumpkin mixture to mushroom mixture; toss well to combine.
- Garnish with sage sprigs if desired.