Recipe by Lalaloula
This recipe for a basic no-fuss, comforting pasta bake was published in a local newspaper a few years back and had been pinned to my dad's drawer ever since for trying out. He never got around to it, so last week when visiting him, I simply made it and it turned out quite well. Ive made a few adaptions to suit our taste and hope youll like it, too. :)
Top Review by Alecia Pearl
Excellent! Definitely a 5 star recipe. I love that it was creamy without any cream or butter. I would add more broccoli and carrots next time just to make it even more healthier. I used vegan cheese, forgot the rosemary and used 2 Cups of soy milk 1/2 a cup of rice milk...It was delicious. I will say my four year old didn't care for it, but my one year old did so it may not be the best dish for every kid's taste buds, but I give it five stars for sure.
- 200 g whole wheat pasta (such as penne or farfalle)
- 4 -5 medium carrots, sliced
- 1⁄2 head broccoli, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 spring onions, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 600 ml soymilk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- salt and black pepper
- 50 g cheese, grated (or soy cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions until al dente (firm to the bite). During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the sliced carrots and chopped broccoli to the pasta water. Once ready, drain and set a side.
- In a large skillet heat the butter and then add the sliced spring onion and bell pepper. Saute for a couple of minutes until lightly browned. Whisk in the 2 tbs of flour and stir constantly for 1 minute. Add the milk and bring to a boil whisking frequently as to prevent lumps from forming.
- Season the sauce with the spices adjusting amounts to your taste.
- Place pasta and veggies in a medium size casserole dish and pour over sauce. Mix to combine. Sprinkle with cheese and bake in the preheated oven at 200°C/375°F for 40 minutes or until nicely browned on top and bubbling.
- Enjoy! :).