Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
this is a delicious hearty soup that is best if prepared a day ahead to blend the flavors, you can use fresh plum tomatoes in place of canned, make certain to blanch then peel the tomatoes firsly. Use your own favorite pasta sauce for this, homemade or purchased, if you like more beans then add in more! This makes a lot of soup but you can reduce to half or freeze for another meal. It is important to simmer this soup over a low heat uncovered for a longer time so that the soup will reduce and thicken and the flavors blend together, the longer it is simmered the better it will be, this soup can also be made in a crockpot but you will need to brown the beef with veggies in a skillet firstly --- the spinach may be replaced with zucchini or use both --- you will love this soup!
Top Review by Shelly S.
Firstly, thank you so much for sharing this amazing and hearty soup recipe! My neighbor & I often deliver a "tasting sampler" of whatever is on our table . She has given me this soup several times so I decided to make one for myself. It turned out absolutely delectable! Very nice & comforting on a chilly day but I have found that it serves just as well at room temperature in the warmer months. Thanks again for sharing!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 large celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (can use more!)
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 10 cups beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 5 cups pasta sauce (use your own favorite brand)
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach (can use 2 boxes)
- 8 ounces small shell pasta
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- Tabasco sauce (to taste) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot (use a 10-quart pot for this) cook the ground beef with onion, garlic, celery, oregano and dried chili flakes until the beef is well browned; drain fat, then add in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese along will all remaining ingredients except the shell pasta, spinach and the Tabasco; bring to a boil and simmer UNCOVERED overlow heat for about 1-1/2 hours (or more).
- Add in the spinach and shell pasta about the last 15 minutes of cooking and continue to simmer over low heat until the pasta is cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper and Tabasco (if using).
- Ladle into bowls and top with more Parmesan cheese.