1 hr 40 mins
Cristina Barry's Note:
Recipe courtesy Norman Van Aken, New World Kitchen: Latin American and Caribbean Cuisine www.foodtv.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Picadillo de Pavo
- 1/4 cup pure olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup spanish dry sherry
- 1/2 cup small caper, well rinsed and chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins or 1/2 cup currants, roughly chopped
- 5 tablespoons lightly rinsed and roughly chopped green olives
- 3/4 cup sliced scallion
- 3 cups mashed idaho potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds potatoes)
- 3 cups mashed boiled yucca root (about 1 1/2 pounds yuca)
- 5 extra-large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups prepared ground turkey, picadillo de pavo
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 cups fine breadcrumbs
- canola oil or peanut oil, for deep-frying
- 2Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- 3Put the turkey in the skillet and cook, separating the clumps of meat with a spoon or spatula, until crumbly and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 4Transfer the turkey and any juices to a bowl.
- 6Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and the butter to a skillet and heat until hot.
- 7Add the garlic, onion and bell peppers, season with salt and pepper, and saute for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 8Stir in the turkey, tomato, tomato paste, red wine, sherry, capers, raisins, olives, and scallions.
- 9Lower the heat to medium-low, season to taste, and cook for about 15 minutes until the flavors meld. Remove from the heat.
- 10Papas Rellenas:
- 11Combine the mashed potatoes and yuca in a large bowl.
- 12Lightly beat 2 of the eggs, and add to the potato mixture, along with the thyme, salt, black pepper, and cayenne.
- 13Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 14Form the potato mixture into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- 15Using your thumb or forefinger, make a little well large enough to hold 1/2 tablespoon of filling in each ball.
- 16Add the filling and pinch the dough to seal.
- 17Pat the seam gently, then roll the ball to make it smooth and round.
- 18Bring out 3 shallow bowls, Put the flour in 1 and season with salt and pepper.
- 19In another, beat the remaining 3 eggs with the water.
- 20Put the bread crumbs in the third bowl.
- 21Roll each ball in flour, then in the eggs, and then in the bread crumbs to coat.
- 22In a deep fryer or deep pot, heat the oil to 375 degrees F.
- 23Drop the papas rellenas in the oil, in batches, and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- 24Remove and drain on paper towels.
Browse Our Top For Large Groups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All For Large Groups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Papas Rellenas With Picadillo De Pavo
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 155.9
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 42.6 mg
- Sodium 270.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: