Prep 45 mins
Cook 55 mins
Recipe courtesy Norman Van Aken, New World Kitchen: Latin American and Caribbean Cuisine www.foodtv.com
Picadillo de Pavo
- 1⁄4 cup pure olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup spanish dry sherry
- 1⁄2 cup small caper, well rinsed and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup currants, roughly chopped
- 5 tablespoons lightly rinsed and roughly chopped green olives
- 3⁄4 cup sliced scallion
- 3 cups mashed idaho potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds potatoes)
- 3 cups mashed boiled yucca root (about 1 1/2 pounds yuca)
- 5 extra-large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups prepared ground turkey, picadillo de pavo
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 cups fine breadcrumbs
- canola oil or peanut oil, for deep-frying
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Put the turkey in the skillet and cook, separating the clumps of meat with a spoon or spatula, until crumbly and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the turkey and any juices to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and the butter to a skillet and heat until hot.
- Add the garlic, onion and bell peppers, season with salt and pepper, and saute for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the turkey, tomato, tomato paste, red wine, sherry, capers, raisins, olives, and scallions.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, season to taste, and cook for about 15 minutes until the flavors meld. Remove from the heat.
- Papas Rellenas:
- Combine the mashed potatoes and yuca in a large bowl.
- Lightly beat 2 of the eggs, and add to the potato mixture, along with the thyme, salt, black pepper, and cayenne.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Form the potato mixture into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Using your thumb or forefinger, make a little well large enough to hold 1/2 tablespoon of filling in each ball.
- Add the filling and pinch the dough to seal.
- Pat the seam gently, then roll the ball to make it smooth and round.
- Bring out 3 shallow bowls, Put the flour in 1 and season with salt and pepper.
- In another, beat the remaining 3 eggs with the water.
- Put the bread crumbs in the third bowl.
- Roll each ball in flour, then in the eggs, and then in the bread crumbs to coat.
- In a deep fryer or deep pot, heat the oil to 375 degrees F.
- Drop the papas rellenas in the oil, in batches, and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.