Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Easy one pan meal, comfort food, great for those cold chilly days.
- 1 lb 85% lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice, do not drain
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 cups raw macaroni (cook per package directions)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Sauté onion in butter and oil till soft, add garlic and cook for about 1 minute, place in small bowl.
- Add ground beef to skillet and brown, put onion and garlic back into skillet with meat and add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and beef broth, season with salt and pepper, stir well and simmer for about 2 hours with lid on stirring a few times.
- Stir in wine and simmer with lid off for 15 minutes then mix in cooked macaroni.
Great recipe - the kids loved it as it didn't have green peppers or other veggies in it. I liked the flavors of it.
Goulash is comfort food. This version adds depth to a childhood favorite and I loved the addition of red wine & beef broth. I did add a chopped green pepper & sliced mushrooms and didn't simmer the two hours. Still great! Thank you for sharing the recipe!
I cooked this recipe exactly as written, except I halved it and then added additional red wine! Very yummy comfort food! Thanks for a great everyday meal! Made for PAC Spring 2010.