Recipe by kellib626
I found this recipe on allrecipes, and wanted to get it into my cookbook because my family LOVED it! I used a roast instead of the brisket, and it fell apart, it was so tender. The sauce can be a little thin, so more cornstarch may be needed. I also ran the sauce through the blender while I was shredding the beef, because my family doesn't like chunky onions.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this to take to a potluck we had here in our mobile home park, & it was devoured in no time! I included plenty of small buns so more people could get a serving! Very tasty & a big success! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block tag]
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 drops liquid smoke flavoring
- 3 lbs beef brisket or 3 lbs roast
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 10 whole grain buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the onion, brown sugar, pepper, salt, chili powder, paprika, oregano, garlic, ketchup, water, white vinegar, canola oil, worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke into a slow cooker, stir. Lay beef into the sauce. Cook on low for 10 hours.
- Remove the beef from the sauce, keeping the sauce in the slow cooker, and shred with 2 forks. Remove 1/4 cup of the sauce from the slow cooker and pour into a bowl. Whisk the cornstarch into the sauce, stir the mixture back into the slow cooker. Add the shredded beef, stir. Serve hot on whole wheat buns.