Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
In 'Seriously Simple Parties' by Diane Rossen Worthington
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1⁄4 lb spanish chorizo, thinly sliced and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb medium grain rice (preferably bomba or Arborio)
- 1 cup clam juice
- 6 cups fish stock or 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 lb mussels, well scrubbed (or littleneck clam or a combination)
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb cooked chicken, sliced 1/2-inch thick (or turkey sausage)
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen baby peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat the olive oil over med-high heat in a 14-inch paella pan or 13- to 14-inch ovenproof saute pan.
- Saute the onions until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and saute for about 2 minutes, or until slightly softened.
- Add the chorizo and saute for about 2 minutes, or until well coated with the oil.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste and paprika and cook about 1 minute, until slightly darker in color.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat the rice without browning it.
- Pour in the clam juice and 1 cup of the broth, and, using pot holders, move the pan around so that the ingredients are in an even layer and are mixed together.
- Cook until the liquid is absorbed, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the broth and the saffron and bring to a boil.
- Cover and put in the oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the liquid is almost absorbed.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add the shellfish, sausage, and peas and stir to blend well.
- Cover, return to oven, and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the mussels are open and the shrimp are pink and fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven.