Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
One of Sweden's famous chilled soups. Try subbing vanilla ice cream for the whipped cream and serve with cookies.
- 1 cup dried rose hips
- 4 cups cold water, divided
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (or to taste, you may prefer less)
- 1 tablespoon potato flour
- 1⁄8 cup madeira wine (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream, whipped and lightly sweetened
- slivered almonds, for garnish
- Soak the rose hips in two cups of water for at least two hours.
- Bring to a boil and cook until soft in the same water. (This may take 20–30 minutes depending on their thickness. They should be soft and sticky.).
- Blend in a mixer; force the mixture through a sieve or food mill using a fine grind screen and discard seeds/skins; return pulp to the pan.and discard the roughage.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil.
- Stir potato flour into remaining cold water and stir until smooth.
- Beat this mixture into the water and bring to the boil again.
- Add the mashed rose hips and sugar.
- Taste and let cool.
- Serve in a bowl garnished with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of almonds.