2 hrs 20 mins
One of Sweden's famous chilled soups. Try subbing vanilla ice cream for the whipped cream and serve with cookies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried rose hips
- 4 cups cold water, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar (or to taste, you may prefer less)
- 1 tablespoon potato flour
- 1/8 cup madeira wine (optional)
- 1/4 cup whipping cream, whipped and lightly sweetened
- slivered almonds, for garnish
- 1Soak the rose hips in two cups of water for at least two hours.
- 2Bring to a boil and cook until soft in the same water. (This may take 20–30 minutes depending on their thickness. They should be soft and sticky.).
- 3Blend in a mixer; force the mixture through a sieve or food mill using a fine grind screen and discard seeds/skins; return pulp to the pan.and discard the roughage.
- 4Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil.
- 5Stir potato flour into remaining cold water and stir until smooth.
- 6Beat this mixture into the water and bring to the boil again.
- 7Add the mashed rose hips and sugar.
- 8Taste and let cool.
- 9Serve in a bowl garnished with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of almonds.
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nyponsoppa -- Swedish Rose Hip Soup
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.5
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 14.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 16.7 g
- Protein 0.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried rose hips