Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Rich-tasting comfort food that's easy and yummy! I like to have a salad and a piece of bread and I call it dinner! Serve as a side dish or a vegetarian entree!
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 stalks chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half (or milk)
- 1 (32 ounce) packagefrozen frozen tater tots
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Saute onion and celery in oil until tender.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Scrape into mixing bowl.
- Add soup, garlic powder, pepper, and half and half.
- Mix well.
- Add frozen tater tots (reserve a handful first) and toss well.
- Spray a casserole dish (I use my 13X9 square Pyrex baking dish) with Pam.
- Pour mixture into dish.
- Arrange reserved tots over top.
- Cover with cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes until cheese is melted and just barely starting to brown.
- Cool slightly before serving.
Sarafish, you have helped me conquer my fear of "tater tots"! Having picked up a bag by accident, I wondered what the heck I was going to do with them. (Never tasted one before). DH laughed as I told him we were having "Tater Tot Casserole", but after tasting agreed with me that it was great- very tasty- and we would have it again! I made the recipe exactly as written. I will play with cutting it down next time, as it makes a lot, and we are only 2. Thanks for an easy and delicious recipe. :o)
This recipe was tasty, but I don't think I'm a big fan of all the celery. I added a can of drained green beans for flavor and texture. I also added some seasoning salt and extra half and half. Instead of mixing the tater tots in with the rest of the ingredients, I put them directly on top so they would crisp up the way I enjoy. I mixed my cheddar cheese in with the rest of the ingredients, as well. Next time, I'm using cream of mushroom soup and adding chopped mushrooms for additional flavor. Thank you for posting this recipe!
Cooking the onion in olive oil was a nice touch. I used cream of chicken soup because I use that in my usual recipe with meat. It adds a lot of flavor. Also, I just layered the top with slices of American cheese.