Tater Tot Casserole With Veggies
My DH was feeling nostalgic for foods of his youth. After an online search (and some tinkering) we came up with this winner! Ore-Ida Crispy Crowns work better than plain old Tots if you like this crispy.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 10 3⁄4 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 8 -10 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 16 ounces tater tots
- Preheat oven to 375°F Brown ground beef with onions until cooked. Drained thoroughly, then put in bottom of a 2 qt casserole dish. Mix mushroom soup and milk. Pour over ground beef. Sprinkle 2-3 cups of frozen mixed veggies over ground beef/mushroom soup. Top with 1/2 cup cheese, Crispy Crowns and the remaining cheese. Bake (uncovered) for 45-50 minutes or until crowns are crunchy.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I have been eating this ever since I was a kid, and this is one of my favorite comfort casseroles. In fact, I just had the leftovers for lunch today! However, I have tweaked it for a more healthy recipe, and I make a BIG BATCH at one time cause I do love the stuff! I buy the big packs of ground turkey and the big bag of frozen organic mixed vegetables at Sam's Club. To use a whole pack of ground turkey (2.5 lbs), I mix in 2 cans of healthy request cream of mushroom soup, with the 1/2 cup of milk. I put a generous frozen mixed vegetable layer, and use reduced fat (2% milk) cheese I have on hand. Then top with the tots, and bake in my lasagna dish for one casserole with leftovers, or I divide it up into 2 smaller ones and freeze the other for a 'rainy day.' The water from the frozen vegetables and the frozen tots mixes with the soup when it bakes, so truthfully you could leave out the milk and it wouldn't be a problem. If I am baking this from one of my frozen pre-prepared stashed casseroles, I pull it out the night before and thaw it in the fridge. Then it bakes up in the oven when I get home from work, and quick dinner is ready!