1/1 Photo of New Potato and Mince Curry
A firm favourite. The original recipe (GOOD FOOD April 2000) says it serves 4. However, it serves myself only twice. Ok, I'm a pig... The addition of flour comes from me - it helps to fry the minced meat nicer and to bind the liquid slightly. I've also made a few other minor changes to the original recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef (450g, I often use less) or 1 lb lamb (450g, I often use less)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coarsely grated fresh ginger
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped (or a few chilli flakes)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 -1 1/2 tablespoon korma curry paste
- 500 g new potatoes, in skins washed and quartered (1 lb and 2 oz)
- 4 ounces fresh spinach leaves, thick stems removed, leaves torn if large (100g)
- 150 ml plain yogurt or 150 ml Greek yogurt
- chapati or naan bread, to serve
- 1Dry the mince thoroughly with kitchen paper. Dust it with the flour and mix well.
- 2Heat a frying pan and add the mince. Brown it all over, stirring to break it up. Remove from pan and set aside. Add oil and onion to the pan and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in the garlic, spices and curry paste. Stir fry for 1 minute. Add the mince, potatoes and 600ml/1pint water, bring to the boil and cover if desired. I personally like to cook it uncovered. Simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked. Season with salt to taste.
- 4Stir in the spinach and simmer for 1 minute, uncovered, until wilted. Ladle into bowls, top with the yogurt and serve with Indian bread.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Potato and Mince Curry
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 715.2
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 157.3 mg
- Sodium 287.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 56.8 g