Twice Baked Potato Casserole
photo by Swirling F.
- Ready In:
- 8 medium potatoes, baked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and drained (or 1 bottle Hormel bacon pieces)
- 2 cups sour cream (I used light sour cream)
- 1 (8 ounce) package light cream cheese
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Scoop out and mash potatoes lightly until consistent size.
- Place half in greased 13x9 baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half the salt, pepper, garlic and bacon.
- Mix together sour cream and cream cheese.
- Top with half the sour cream and cream cheese mix, and cheeses.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered at 350* for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with onions.
Questions & Replies
What a delicious casserole! I believe the servings listed is a tad bit low though. We as a family of 4 had at least 2/3 of it left over. We are not complaining however..It is great the second day. I bet if you used light cheese and sour cream it would be just as tasteful. Thanks for the great recipe Inez.
We love this recipe! I usually make it the lazy way--I mix the potatoes, salt & pepper, and sour cream together first, and then I just put half in, top with cheese, repeat layers and bake. It seems to get more evenly coated with all the yummy sour cream that way. I have taken this to lots of cookouts and had several people tell me it was the best thing there! Thanks for the great recipe!
Made this for the second time today. First time by the book...good, but not wonderful. This time, I made see some minor changes. 1) I used 8 potatoes instead of 6, 2) I shredded the potatoes instead of cubing them, 3) I added 1/4 tsp of garlic powder, and 4) instead of 24 oz of sour cream, I used 16 oz of sour cream and 8 oz of cream cheese. So much better! Took it from 3 stars to 5.
I made this for dinner tonight and it was delish!! However, I am very lazy and decided to try using the little frozen potato cubes instead of baked potatoes. (I thawed them first) Obviously, I cannot compare it to the real thing, but it seemed to turn out great to me!! I also used fat free sour cream to try and reduce the un-healthiness factor of this one. I will definitely be making this again!
This was wonderful even with adding no salt, using about 2/3 of the sour cream and cheese and about 1/4 the amount of bacon, and substituting chives for 1/2 the green onion and cooked vidalias for the other half. I left the skins on the potatos. Having no mozzarella on hand, I used only cheddar. My DH and I both loved it--twice baked potatos without the ardous scooping and stuffing of the shells! THanks for a great recipe.