Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A lovely warm sauce perfect for bread puddings, apple pies or yellow cakes. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, boiling
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine sugar, flour and salt.
- Add boiling water gradually, stirring constantly.
- Add butter and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in nutmeg.