Mashed Potato Doughnuts - Spudnuts
- Ready In:
- Sift first three ingredients together.
- Beat potatoes, eggs, sugar, melted butter together; add nutmeg and milk and stir.
- Add sifted ingredients and stir until just blended; chill.
- Preheat the oil to 375F in a large saucepan or stockpot.
- Place about 1/3 of the dough at a time on a lightly floured board, sprinkle surface lightly with flour and roll to 3/8" thickness (the dough should be just stiff enough to handle; the softer the dough, the more tender the doughnut).
- Cut with a doughnut cutter dipped in flour.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels for a few seconds; roll in granulated or confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These don't taste like the ones made with yeast, but they are good in their own right and quite a bit easier. The only problem I had with them is that they smelled strongly of baking powder, but they tasted fine. The dough was also sticky and I was worried about handling it too much, so I patted each doughnut out by hand.