Recipe by mary winecoff
Okay I know that I am prejudiced but this is my mother's recipe for banana bread and I think it is the best banana bread in the world. It uses instant milk powder, something I have never seen in any other banana bread recipes. I am adding this to the large group of recipes on Zaar to keep this safe and in the family.
Top Review by Katzen
Excellent loaf of banana bread! I used an 8x4 pan, and baked it at 350 for an hour - it worked perfectly! My nuts were walnuts, and I sprinkled the top with a cinnamon sugar prior to baking, because we love that cinnamony crunch. Made for 1-2-3 Hits. Thanks so much for sharing this with us!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons instant milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup shortening (I always used butter but I think she used Crisco)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup mashed banana
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix shortening, sugar and egg together.
- Blend 1/3 cup water, vinegar and mashed banana and add to mixture.
- Mix in 1/2 cup nuts if desired.
- Sift together salt, milk, baking soda, baking powder and flour.
- Add to wet mixture.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour.
- Always made with extra love at Nana's house.