Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the recipe my mom made and I always looked forward to. It is different than most I have seen posted and is very easy to make. The gravy is delicious on mashed potatoes.
- 1 -2 lb boneless round steak
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons wine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Beat flour into steak.
- Sprinkle with salt& pepper.
- Place oil in large pan and heat; brown steak on both sides in pan.
- Remove steak from pan.
- Add onion to pan and cook until tender.
- Add catsup, water, worcestershire sauce, wine, garlic, sugar and mushroom soup to pan and blend.
- Bring to boil, then add steak and turn heat down to simmer.
- Simmer for about 45 minutes or until steak is tender.
This tasted like plain steak with ketchup on it. The ingredients did not compliment each other. No on in my family like it.
Nothing complicated about this dish and that's what I like. The results are a steak with a delicious sauce (and lots of it)to have over your mashed potatoes. I made no changes and I must add that if anyone is looking for a really easy and fabulous dish they really ought to try this one. Hubby & I thought it was excellent & will definitely be making this again. So glad that you shared it with us, Chris.
This was very nice and easy. I added a few mushrooms and celery that I needed to use up. Didn't have any wine so I subbed with a bit of balsamic vinegar. Placed a few carrots on top for the last 1/2 hour of cooking.