Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is from the R.S.V.P. section of a September 1988 issue of Bon Appetit. It was requested from Muffuletta on The Lake restaurant in Wayzata, Minnesota.
Top Review by Deborah L.
I have been making this recipe since it appeared in the RSVP section of Bon Appetit years and years ago. It is absolutely delicious and I have shared this recipe more times than I can count over the years. Understand that I am not a particularly gifted cook (this is one of about five things I make) and it comes out perfect every time. Paired with crusty bread - this is dinner. The best mushroom soup recipe I have ever tasted.
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 4 1⁄2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring stock to boil in medium saucepan; cover and set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery and saute until translucent, about 5 mimutes.
- Add flour, thyme and basil and stir 4 minutes;whisk in sherry.
- Mix in hot stock and bay leaves and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add mushrooms and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve.