photo by Sandi From CA
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 small potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons tamari soy sauce
- sour cream, for garnish
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and celery, cover and cook until transparent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add potato,water, thyme and pepper.
- Increase heat and simmer until potato is very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Puree mixture in processor or blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of container.
- Return mixture to saucepan; add milk, cream, sherry and soy sauce.
- Heat through; do not boil.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with sour cream.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I'm posting a photo of a recipe VERY close to this one that I made tonight. The recipes are *just* different enough, though, that I'm not going to rate yours, Leslie, but hope to come back later to do so when I've made it properly. The one I made allegedly came from "New Moosewood Cookbook" and includes all the ingredients (and similar amounts) listed here except milk or soy milk is substituted for the whipping cream. The directions are also very similar. We thought the one we made was good, but needed something... probably whipping cream! *lol*