Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
These were a favorite of mine when I was growing up. This is taken from my family cookbook. I've made them with ground turkey also - very tastey!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- Mix together first eight ingredients and form into small meatballs (about 1 inch in diameter).
- In large skillet or Dutch oven, mix tomato soup and tomato sauce with water. Stir to mix completely.
- Bring sauce to boil, and drop in meatballs, making sure they are well covered in the sauce.
- Lower heat to simmer and cover with close-fitting lid.
- Gently stir after 20 minutes.
- Continue to cook with pan covered for 20 minutes longer.
- They are finished when rice is tender and sticks out like little spines on the meatballs.
This was exactly how I remember these tasting when my mother made them! She didn't have an exact recipe and I was really craving them. I made a huge batch and I used ground turkey because my DH doesn't eat beef. These came out perfect and didn't fall apart like they normally do when I make them. The only issue I had was the rice on the inside of the meatballs was a little bit crunchy. I think I should've made smaller meatballs or something.
We loved these meatballs. I substitued a can of spanish tomatoes for the tomato soup--and it gave it quite a nice flavour. We enjoyed the meatballs for supper, but even more, the next day, cold and sliced on rolls. Yum! I have already made up a triple batch of the meatballs for the freezer for a busy day.
WOW! I wish I could give this recipe a 10 star rating. Its absolutely the best meatballs I have ever had. I want to mention that it didn't call for browning the meatballs before adding to the sauce but I did (brown them before)and I also let them simmer in the sauce for a hour or so. I highly recommend these too! Thanks so much for sharing one of your favorite recipes.Its now ours too :)