Recipe by Parrot Head Mama
K.I.S.S. stands for "Keep It Simple, Stupid". My mom wasn't a whiz in the kitchen, although we never went hungry. This is one of the few things that everyone asks her to make. It's simple, hearty, inexpensive and tasty. This freezes well and the leftovers are SUPER.
- 2 lbs ground beef or 2 lbs ground pork or 2 lbs ground turkey, browned and drained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chili beans (I prefer Mrs. Grimes brand)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 teaspoons cumin (to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon oregano
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 1 dash garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Throw all ingredients in crockpot or large stew pot on the stovetop. If preparing in the crockpot, cook on low for 4-6 hours. If preparing on the stovetop, simmer on low for 2-3 hours. I've recently heard that the tasty scents you smell when chili is cooking may be the spices dissipating, so it's been suggested that you may want to try combining all the spices (oregano, cumin and garlic powder) in a small container, then add them at the beginning, middle and end of the chili's cooking time.