Crock Pot Enchiladas
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 15mins
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans or (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (4 oz)
- 6 flour tortillas (6 or 7-inch)
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion, and green pepper until beef is browned and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Add the next 8 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine cheeses.
- In a 5 qt slow-cooker, layer about 3/4 cup beef mixture, on tortilla and about 1/3 cup cheese.
- Repeat layers until ingredients are used up.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until heated through.
Join The Conversation
I made a vegetarian version using Lightlife Smart Ground instead of the ground beef. This busy mom simplified the prep by not sauteing or boiling the veggies first. Just chopped up onion and pepper in small pieces and threw it all in. Cooked great in 5 1/2 hours. Crazy yummy! Leftover portions heated up well wrapped in foil in toaster oven too.
We really like this recipe. I just found it on here...have been making it for years from the TOH magazine. I only use one can of chili beans instead of the 2 cans listed. I think I will try to cut down on the cheese and tortillas next time as someone else mentioned. We serve it with chips (I make my own in the oven with corn tortillas) and kind of eat it like a dip!
Great base recipe! I used chicken instead, and only half the black beans called for. Substituted refried beans for the other can! Also, didn't need as many tortillas. I use 2 big ones, cut them into wedges, and layered that way! Got the calories down, WAY down! Used 1 C cheese instead of 2, so each portion (made for 4) is 325 calories! Great way to enjoy Mexican on a diet!