Rich Brooks' Damn Good Chili
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 35mins
- 1 1⁄2 medium onions
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 minced fresh garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon jalapeno, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 lbs ground round or 4 lbs other lean beef
- 8 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- 6 ounces beer
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 14 1⁄2 ounces stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 4 ounces diced green chilies
- 1 bay leaf
- Chop the onions, peppers, celery stalk, jalapeno, and mince the garlic clove.
- Heat the vegetable oil on med-high heat and saute the onions, peppers, celery stalk, jalapeno, and garlic until they are soft and onions are translucent.
- Add the beef and continue cooking until the beef is no longer pink, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- When finished cooking, spoon any excess oil from beef mixture and transfer the beef mixture to a soup/chili pot.
- In a separate bowl, mix the chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, hot sauce, salt and pepper, and the beer. Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Add the chili powder mixture from the bowl to the beef mixture in the soup pot.
- Next add the water, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, diced green chilies, and bay leaf to the pot.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- I serve it with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream. It's also good with Fritos, crackers, or as just plain chili!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!