Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My Mom Pat makes the best potatoes in basic pot roast.
- 4 lbs chuck roast
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (2 ounce) envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 onion
- 1 lb carrot
- 3 lbs potatoes
- soy sauce
- Cook pot roast in 375 degree Fahrenheit oven in a covered baking pan with Worcestershire, onion soup mix and onion with enough water to cover for 3 hours.
- Add cut up carrots and potatoes (peeled and cut in thirds top to bottom) so you have points sticking up in pan.
- Cover and cook 1/2 hour.
- Take out and shake soy sauce over potatoes.
- Dust lightly with paprika.
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes until potatoes are tender but browned.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
Delicious pot roast recipe and so easy to make. I browned the roast before baking, as suggested by another reviewer, used homemade onion soup mix recipe #110331, and a combination of water, beef broth and potato water saved from making mashed potatoes a few days ago. Served with thick slices of homestyle bread and butter to mop up the gravy. Added this excellent recipe to my favorite recipes binder.
As others have rightly said, Absolutely delicious pot roast! Made the recipe as given, then shared the meal with a house-bound neighbor couple, & we were all raving about the wonderful flavor, & I like the ease of prep! Many thanks! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
Wonderful flavors, tender and juicy roast and lots and lots of juices to make gravy. Now this is my type of pot roast. The only slight addition was I used some beef broth and coffee in place of the water - it just makes a deeper flavored juices for gravy (my mom's way of roasting that I just have to do). You did not mention how much soy sauce to use so I added 2 tbls of that and 1 of the Worcestershire Sauce which gave a hint of extra flavor to the juices. This would be great to add some minced garlic into the juices while roasting and then shred the beef for sandwiches with au jus. Just a great all around good pot roast recipe! Thanks for sharing in Zaar Star Tag game.