Cafe Latte's Turtle Cake
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
1 layer cake
- unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour (I use unbleached)
- 2 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brewed coffee, hot
- 2 teaspoons brewed coffee, hot
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate pieces (2 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecan halves, toasted
- 3⁄4 cup caramel topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease three 9-inch round cake pans.
- Line the bottom of each with parchment paper.
- Grease the paper.
- Dust with unsweetened cocoa powder.
- In a small bowl combine the egg, buttermilk and oil; set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, 1 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, beating with an electric mixer until combined.
- Gradually beat in 1 cup hot brewed coffee.
- Pour batter into prepared pans; spread evenly. (Layers will appear shallow).
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.
- Loosen sides from pans, invert cakes on racks.
- Remove cakes from pans.
- Peel off paper; cool thoroughly.
- When cool, prepare the frosting.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup milk.
- Add 6 Tablespoons butter.
- Bring to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 12 semi-sweet chocolate pieces.
- Whisk until smooth.
- If frosting seems to thick or grainy, stir in 1 to 2 teaspoons freshly brewed hot coffee.
- (Frosting makes about 2 1/2 cups).
- Place 1 cake layer, top-side DOWN, onto a serving plate.
- Using an icing spatula or wide knife, work quickly to frost top of this layer with 1/3 of the frosting, pushing it out slightly from edges to make ripple or pedal effect.
- Arrange 1/3 of the pecans on top and drizzle with 1/4 cup of the caramel topping.
- Top with the second layer, top-side DOWN.
- Repeat the above frosting steps with 1/3 of the frosting, pecans and caramel topping.
- Top with the third layer, right side UP.
- Repeat with frosting, pecans and caramel topping.
- Chill cake 1 to 2 hours before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I've been a member since 2001.