Recipe by ozzygirl
A recipe I found in the Australian Womans Weekly. I made them up for my husband to BBQ and they were absolutely delicious. You can either roast the red capsicums (peppers) yourself or buy them pre-made.
Top Review by mickeydownunder
I LOVED making these today, TRUE!
A healthier version of a burger, NO EGG, a bonus for me too!
Is the combination of all the ingredients that make this dish come together!
Spritzed with balsamic vinegar and definitely used a bit of chili paste...doesn't get any better! THANKS!! WHOO HOO!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 loaf Turkish bread, cut into 4 portions, each split in half
- 1⁄2 cup hummus
- 0.15 lb Baby Spinach
- 0.33 lb roasted red capsicums, sliced thickly (roasted peppers)
- 1⁄2 small red onion, sliced thinly
- chili sauce (optional)
For the Lamb Patties
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1.10 lb lamb mince
- 1 medium brown onion, coarsely grated
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Place breadcrumbs in a medium bowl and pour the milk over. Add the mince, onion, mint, garlic and cumin. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Use your hands to mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 even portions and shape each portion into a patty about 15cm in diameter and 1cm thick.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat until hot. Add the Lamb Patties and cook for 5 minutes. Turn and cook the patties for a further 2-3 minutes or until just cooked through. Alternatively you can BBQ these on a grill.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill on high. Place bread portions, cut-side up, on an oven tray and toast under preheated grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. To serve, spread the bottom halves of the bread portions with a little hummus.
- Top with the spinach, roasted red capsicum, Lamb Patties, onion, remaining hummus, red onion and the chilli sauce. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover with top of the bread portions and serve immediately.