Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love Mexican Food! This is a tasty little side dish served at restaurants such as Chi Chi's, El Torito, and Chevy's Fresh Mex. This is more like a corn pudding, but I have known others to fry the dough into a pancake. Masa Harina, one of the ingredients, means corn flour. I have found it at major grocery chains or you can find it at a store that specializes in Hispanic foods. I could eat this for breakfast, lunch , and dinner.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whip butter and shortening in a mixing bowl and beat until creamy.
- Add Masa harina slowly and mix thoroughly.
- Add water until cookie dough consistency and mix.
- Blend in corn kernels.
- Mix cornmeal, sugar, whipping cream, baking powder, and salt separately in a large bowl.
- Add masa harina mixture and mix until blended.
- Grease an 8x10 square pan and pour mixture into pan.
- Cover pan with foil and bake.
- Bake 40-50 minutes at 350 until it is consistency of custard.
- Allow to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- May serve with an ice cream scoop or cut into squares.
- You may use a food processor and add ingredients as specified above.
This was so delicious! I always love the sweet corn cakes from the restaurants and have been wanting to make one for quite a while. I made it exactly as written - and it was wonderful! My family loved it - and we demolished the pan of it... I think they want it pretty regularly now - I know I do... I think that next time, I might just give the corn kernels a quick chop in the food processor - and I think I'll add just a smidge more sugar - maybe just another tablespoon of it. Now, some of my family disagreed and think it does not need any more sugar (perfect as is), but it seemed a little less sweet to me than some of the restaurant ones I've had. So, if you like corn cake sweeter than not - add a smidge, but if you think some of the restaurant ones are too sweet - leave it as is. I think it's a winner either way - and a new regular! If you're making it for more than 3 people, you might want to consider doubling it, as it went fast. Thank you so much!
I have tried many variations of this, and the pre-packaged Chi Chi's brand, at my local Publix Grocery, and THIS is the best I've ever had. It was so refreshing to be able to eat just a little more than what they give you at El Torito. I always used to call their portion, "a tease." Thank you for posting it.
This is sooo good!! If you are making a mexican dish, this is the perfect companion. I always have to make a double recipe, because everyone loves it so much. I have made a couple of variations, and it was still delicious: I used four instead of masa harina, and I use milk instead of whipping cream.