Chevy's Sweet Corn Tamalitos
I started seeing this delightful little scoop of heaven on the edge of my plate at a few of the Mexican restaurants around town, so I decided make it at home. This recipe is actually the recipe they use at Chevy's, which I found published in the local paper.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 5 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1⁄4 cup masa harina flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon milk
- In a small bowl, mix the margarine, masa and sugar with mixer until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Blend 1/2 the corn kernels with the water in a blender until smooth.
- Combine with margarine mixture, stirring well.
- Add the remaining corn, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and milk.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil.
- Pour the mixture into an 8-inch baking dish.
- Tightly cover with plastic wrap and set atop the saucepan of boiling water.
- Keep pan tightly wrapped and steam for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Check water level often, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- I have also made this in the oven, setting the pan in a water bath.
- I do not know the temp I had the oven on, or how long I kept it inches If anyone tries it, please add that info.