Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a beautiful hearty weekend brunch dish that I love to make. It screams for substitutions, additions and omissions, so let me know what you used. Great for using up leftovers from mexican the night before. Requires a full set of cookware, lol, so make sure you strike a deal on dishwashing with whoever you cook it for! There's a little multi-tasking involved, have some water with a little vinegar already boiling and poach your eggs last. Try it, you'll be soooo happy you did!
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 can diced stewed tomatoes, chopped and mostly drained
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- hot sauce or cayenne or chile
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and heated
- 4 -8 poached eggs
- 1 avocado, chopped or sliced
- sour cream
- grated cheddar cheese
- sliced green onion
- Cook your rice.
- Saute the onion and green pepper in a small saucepan, add tomato and hot sauce, simmer covered while you prepare the rest.
- Layer the breakfast as follows: Rice, beans, stewed tomato mixture, 1 or 2 poached eggs, and top with desired condiments.