Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From The Weight Watchers Complete Cookbook & Program Basics, this sounds like it would be good.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb black beans, rinsed drained and cooked
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; add onion, bell pepper, jalapeño and garlic.
- Sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are wilted, about 8 minutes.
- Add chili powder, bay leaves, cumin and oregano; sauté, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add beans, broth, salt and pepper. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil and lower heat to medium-low.
- Gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until creamy and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves; stir in cilantro and serve.
- EACH SERVING (1/2 cup) PROVIDES: 1 Fat, 1/2 Vegetable, 2 Proteins, 5 Optional Calories.
- PER SERVING: 219 Calories, 11 g Protein, 6 g Fat, 32 g Carbohydrate, 23 mg Sodium, 0 mg Cholesterol, 3 g Dietary Fiber; 4 points.
This was an excellent variation on black beans -- spicy and flavorful. These were great and so easy to prepare. I did use part orange bell pepper since I had some that needed using. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8
Holy Moly, these were yummy. We eat a ton of beans on my husband's low carb diet but these made them a treat not just something to suffer through. It is going straight in the keeper binder!
Made for ZWT 8
Great low calorie recipe. Did not use any oil or salt. Soaked dry beans overnight and placed all ingredients in slow cooker on low for 7 hours.