Mexican Black Beans
photo by Starrynews
- Ready In:
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, chili and cumin and sauté 30 seconds.
- Add beans and broth and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Coarsely mash beans with potato masher.
- Continue boiling until thick, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with lime juice, salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
- I add the monterey jack cheese on top and microwave for 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Just a quick note. Whenever making beans, and you want to thicken the stock but not have "mash potato style" beans, this is what you can do. Take about an 1/8 of your beans. Add a little water or your stock. Mash those separately from your other beans. Add these to your pot. You can always add more depending on how thick you would like your beans. Also, if you add small diced onions, to saute, that really kicks up the flavor a notch.