Recipe by DancingPanda
Succulent, wine-laced short ribs. I serve these with roasted garlic mashed potatoes.
Top Review by LW Taylor
I only prepare short ribs every now and then, but I may have to change that after eating this. The merlot sauce is OUTSTANDING...excellent taste and texture. Thanks for a really good recipe.
- 8 meaty beef short ribs
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup merlot (I use wine from BC vineyards)
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 -5 sprigs fresh thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper and place in a roasting pan that's just large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the wine, stock, flour, sugar and mustard in a medium-sized pot and whisk until well combined. Mix in the onion, garlic and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, boil 2 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Once the short ribs have roasted for 30 minutes, remove from the oven and drain away the excess fat.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.
- Pour the wine/stock mixture over the ribs.
- Cover and bake for 2 hours or until the meat is very tender and falling off the bone.
- Skim any fat from the surface of the ribs before serving.